If you are planning to get married here, please make an appointment with the Parish Priest as soon as possible (the Church requires couples to give 12 months notice to the parish priest) to allow for marriage preparation sessions and any legal administration.

Following direction from the Civil Authorities as of February 2014 to qualify to marry at St Philipís or St Johnís at least one of the parties must either reside in the registration district where the church building is located or the church must be their usual place of worship.

Getting married?

Many congratulations on your decision to be married.

Generally speaking, you may marry in the Catholic Church if:

  • at least one of you is a Roman Catholic;
  • neither of you has been married before;
  • you are 18 years old or over.

To marry in the parish, at least one of you should normally reside in the parish. The Civil Law states that the church in which you plan to get married must normally be within the registration district where you or your partner resides. The Church's Canon Law states that your marriage is to be celebrated in the parish in which either of you is residing.

You need to give us at least six months notice of your intention to marry.

The process of planning your marriage with us will take the following pattern:

  • A meeting with the priest with whom you have been in contact to discuss your plans to ascertain that you are free to marry in the Catholic Church. A date for your proposed wedding will be discussed at this meeting, and not before.
  • At this meeting, essential paperwork will be started. The priest will need:
    • if you are a Catholic, a new copy of your baptismal certificate (issued in the last six months) from the parish in which you were baptised;
    • if you are a Christian of another church, a copy of your original baptismal certificate.
  • If you are unable to bring these documents with you to the initial meeting, donít worry, but the priest will need to see them in due course, and certainly in good time before the proposed wedding date.
  • You need to ensure that you fulfil the legal requirements to get married by approaching your local Register Office and making an appointment to see them. It is your responsibility to provide the necessary legal documentation to the priest at the wedding rehearsal. The local register Office is in Crowborough. Tel 01892 653803.
    You may find it helpful to visit the web site of the General Register Office.
  • If you live in separate registration districts, you will need to contact each Registrar concerned. You will find the address of any Registrar by looking in a telephone or Thompson's directory or via the internet.
  • If the Catholic lives outside the Catholic Parishes of Uckfield & Heronís Ghyll, you also need a Letter of Freedom from the priest of the Catholic parish in which you reside. Both of you need, please, to be prepared to supply a letter from your parent(s), stating simply that to the best of their knowledge you have never been married before.
  • After the initial meeting with the priest you will be asked to attend a Marriage Preparation Programme, and then other meetings with the priest will follow.

In the first instance contact Fr Ian.

What the Church teaches about Marriage